- Departs from Taumarunui Base at 9 Hakiaha Street most days at 12.00pm. Please check the booking calendar for available times as they are subject to change.
Journey back in time through stunning hill country farms and native bush. Hear stories of the rail workers, as you travel the Forgotten World Railway aboard a self-driven Rail Cart. This 3.5 hour return journey includes a stop with delicious home baking and drinks at the historical village of Matiere. Perfect outing for the whole family!
Included in Your Day:
- 32km Rail Cart journey
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Shuttle transfers between Taumarunui and the Forgotten World
- Home baking and tea stop at the historical village of Matiere
Please note: The RailCarts are very easy to drive with a simple accelerator pedal and brake. If you feel uncomfortable about driving and there is no-one in your party who would like to drive then please give Forgotten World Adventures a call when you make your booking and they can discuss several options.
Suggested Things to Bring:
- Sunglasses, camera, binoculars
- Water and extra snacks if required
- Any personal medications required - especially allergy medications (this is a rural environment with insects and pollens)
- Warm thermal/merino clothing, including hat, scarf and gloves
- Sturdy footwear (no jandals) with warm socks
- Warm windproof jacket with hood even in fine weather
- 100% rainproof coat and over-trousers if rain is predicted
About Forgotten World Adventures:
Ian, farmer, former Waikato Regional Councillor, keen outdoorsman and dedicated entrepreneur, recognised the gem that the rail line was. Following a comprehensive process of investigation, innovation and design and help from expert engineers the Forgotten World rail carts were created.
With a plan in place, including cutting-edge safety systems, the lease was secured from Kiwi Rail. Forgotten World Adventure was real, giving visitors the exciting opportunity to self-drive along the 142km of heritage rail tracks during the summer season of October through to May (with some shorter winter tours available by arrangement), immersed in the remote and stunning New Zealand landscape.
Valid from Sep 11, 2019
Expires Nov 15, 2019
Limit: 2 per user and 2 as gift for others
Bookings essential. Subject to availability. Not valid on Saturdays. Please call 0800 724 52278 to make your booking. If you feel uncomfortable about driving and there is no-one in your party who would like to drive then please let the merchant know when you make your booking and you can discuss several alternative options. Under 3 is free, 3-15 is considered a child and 16+ is considered an adult. A family pass is 2 adults and 2 children. Must be used in one visit. Valid for option and number of people stipulated on coupon. Layered clothing with a good wind/rain jacket or shell is ideal as it can be cool in the tunnels. 24-hour cancellation policy applies or coupon is void. Not valid on public holidays. No refunds unless required by law. No cashback. Not to be used with any other offer.
See the rules
that apply to all deals.