Valid for travel from 10th December until 31st May 2020
This tour includes:
- Two-day bike hire. You get to choose from their fleet of specialized USA Comfort mountain bikes with a really upright posture or Hardrock 29r’s with a standard mountain bike riding position
- Luggage transport (one bag per customer, bag storage provided if you have additional bags)
- Two nights self-contained accommodation (Omakau Bedpost or Solandra Lodge) – includes continental breakfast - put a group of three or more together and they’ll guarantee sole occupancy for your group
- Transport from Clyde to Omakau on day one, Omakau to Oturehua on day two
- Lunches and dinners
- Any other activities you might choose to do
- Additional transport to retrieve you from the trail should you be unable to continue cycling
- Ability to ride a bike
- A reasonable level of fitness to cover the daily distances. They recommend that you do some training before coming to enhance your enjoyment and they provide a training program
- No medical issues that would prevent you from partaking in the described activity
- Drive yourself to Clyde
- 4.15pm – Shebikeshebikes transport from Clyde through to Omakau for your first night
- 4.45pm – Check in at your accommodation in Omakau and enjoy a great meal at one of the four dining options in the area, or self-cater. A continental breakfast is provided for the morning
- 9.15am – Shebikeshebikes transport through to Oturehua
- 10.3 am – Cycle from Oturehua back to Omakau, 30km trending downhill
- Second nights accommodation in Omakau – a continental breakfast is provided for the morning
- Start at a time to suit you this morning and cycle from Omakau to Clyde on the Otago Central Rail Trail (with the option to ride the 150th Anniversary Track again if you loved it) – 35km trending downhill
- When you get to Clyde, drop your bikes, collect your bags and car and you’re on your way to your next adventure
Like all shebikeshebikes adventures, this trip is all about fun. Even if you haven’t been on a bike for a very long time because you’re old enough to have ridden a horse to school or what you used to refer to as your bike is now in your local transport museum, they have the solution. Their specialized mountain bikes come in “cushy, sprung seat, upright, comfort” low step or standard bar versions or the more sporty 29’r wheeled “have you noticed that my bigger wheel’s shallow curve is rolling over the trail surface more easily?” versions. They have a tandem too for those who like the thought of the “captain and stoker” relationship.
Having done the Otago Central Rail Trail is an automatic conversation starter – even if you have only actually done one or two days of the best bits – minor details for busy people. So the next time that someone says “Oh have you done the Rail Trail?” don’t be afraid to throw in a few trail-related points of interest. Like that the Poolburn gorge is home to the rare New Zealand falcon (Karearea) and you of course have actually seen one (check out the back of the $20 note for details); that although Cyclophobia is a very real and scary phenomenon for some, you now have empathy as you also experienced the rapid heartbeat and tunnel vision on day one of this trip. Just quietly - over 50% of cyclists forget to take off their sunglasses when going through the deep dark Poolburn tunnels and remark on how dark it is – much to the amusement of their companions.
Shebikeshebikes is a family run business doing great things on the Rail Trail since 2009. Feel free to read about them on Trip Advisor.
Valid from Dec 11, 2019
Expires May 31, 2020
Bookings essential. Subject to availability. Not valid on public holidays. Valid to use from 10th December until 31st May 2020. BLACKOUT DATES: Not valid on public holidays or the April School Holidays (10th April - 27th April). Limited availability on weekends. Book early to avoid disappointment. Valid for number of people stipulated on coupon only. Tour departs Clyde. Minimum of two people are required to start a tour on any one day and a maximum of 16 guests can be accommodated on any tour. Trip runs rain or shine. Please wear appropriate clothing for winter riding. In case of bad weather, they will transport you to finish point should you choose not to cycle. In the rare event of snow, first day may be shortened. Must be used in one visit. Includes: two days bike hire, luggage transport (1 bag per customer, bag storage provided if you have additional bags), two nights self-contained accommodation (Omakau Bedpost or Solandra Lodge), continental breakfast each day and transport from Clyde to Omakau on day 1 and Omakau to Oturehua on day 2. Excludes: lunches and dinners, any other activities you might choose to do and additional transport to retrieve you from the trail should you be unable to continue cycling. No refunds unless required by law. No cashback. Not to be used with other offers.
See the rules
that apply to all deals.