About this Tour:
As its name suggests, this tour is designed to give you a taste of China’s ancient history, rich culture, delicate cuisine, thriving industries, and modern architecture. Walk along the Great Wall and unfold the mystery of the Forbidden City in China’s capital Beijing, discover the exquisite cities of Suzhou and Hangzhou, both on par with heaven for their natural beauty according to a Chinese saying, and immerse yourself in the dynamic cosmopolitan city Shanghai.
Day 1: Auckland to Beijing
Fly from Auckland to Beijing, the capital city of China. Upon arrival, you will be warmly greeted at the airport by your tour guide and transferred to your hotel. Please note: some flights may depart the day before.
Day 2: Beijing (B, L, D)
Beijing has served as the capital of five dynasties over a period of 800 years. Today, visit Tiananmen Square, the second largest public square in the world and the Forbidden City, the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming to Qing dynasty. Continue on to the Temple of Heaven, one of the best examples of Ming Dynasty architecture and also an ornate sanctuary where Chinese emperors offered sacrifices to heaven and prayed for good harvest. Your welcome banquet includes the local delicacy, Peking Roast Duck.
Day 3: Beijing (B, L)
Today’s highlight is an excursion to the majestic Great Wall, the most famous image of China, and a chance to climb a portion of this 3,700-mile marvel. You will also visit one of the largest Jade Exhibitions in Asia en-route. After lunch, see skilled artisans at work at a Cloisonné Factory. Tonight, you can choose to attend an optional large scale dramatic musical, “The Golden Mask Dynasty” (at your own expense).
Day 4: Beijing (B, L)
Today, tour the exquisite Summer Palace, the largest preserved ancient garden in China and a former summer resort for emperors, followed by a visit to Bejing Zoo to see China's adorable nation treasure - the Giant Panda. Then, visit a Chinese Herbal Institute to learn about traditional Chinese medicine, which has existed for thousands of years. This afternoon, you can join an optional “Hutong Life Tour”, a special journey which explores Beijing’s ancient alleyways or “hutongs” by pedicab, (at your own expense) or take a stroll in the Wangfujing, one of the Chinese capital's most famous shopping streets.
Day 5: Beijing - Shanghai - Wuxi (B, D)
Fly to Shanghai and travel by coach to Wuxi, an ancient city richly endowed with nature due to its pleasantly warm and moist climate- it boasts a reputation of being the “Land of Fish and Rice”. Enjoy the scenery as we pass by Lake Tai, the third-largest freshwater lake in China. This evening, we have the option of visiting Nanchang Street and take a cruise along the Grand Canal to view life along China’s golden waterway in its heyday then stroll along the charming and trendy pedestrian street composed of both ancient and modern architecture (at your own expense).
Day 6: Wuxi - Suzhou (B, L)
This morning visit one of the largest Fresh Water Pearl Exhibitions in the country. After lunch, travel by coach to Suzhou, an extraordinarily delicate and elegant city with its canals, stone bridges and meticulously designed gardens which has often been referred to as “Paradise on Earth” by Chinese poets and writers since ancient times. As a large area of the city is covered by water, including a vast number of ponds and streams, Suzhou is also known as “Venice of the East”. It is also known as the “Garden City” due to its many classical gardens, renowned for their charming natural beauty and harmonious construction. Visit the Lingering Garden which is among the finest gardens in China.
Day 7: Suzhou - Hangzhou (B, L, D)
This morning visit a Silk Spinning Mill, and learn how silk is created from mulberry-munching silkworms to produce the finest thread and cloth. After lunch, travel by coach to Hangzhou, described by Marco Polo as “the most beautiful and magnificent city in the world”. Upon arrival, take a boat ride on the serene West Lake, the most renowned feature of Hangzhou, noted for its scenic beauty which blends naturally with many famous historical and cultural sites. This evening, you can enjoy an optional open-air performance, “Impression West Lake”, a masterpiece created by Zhang Yimou, the director of the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Games Opening Ceremony (at your own expense).
Day 8: Hangzhou - Shanghai (B, L)
Experience an oriental tea-tasting at the Dragon Well Tea Plantation. Then travel by coach to Shanghai, the vibrant metropolis and commercial centre of China. Upon arrival, walk along the famous Bund, a mile-long stretch along the Huangpu River. Lined with colonial architectures of European design, it is the best place to capture the Western influences of the old days. Enjoy the rest of the day at leisure strolling along the bustling shopping district, Nanjing Road. Tonight you can watch a superb and thrilling Chinese Acrobatic Show "ERA: The Intersection of Time" (at your own expense).
Day 9 Shanghai (B, D)
After breakfast, visit Jin Mao Tower Observation Deck (88th floor) for a panoramic view of Huangpu River and the Bund. Then taste the famous Xiao Long Bao at a Shanghai Dim Sim restaurant for lunch (at your own expense). After lunch, head to the City God Temple of Shanghai, symbolic of the large temple complex and surrounding traditional district of commerce in the city. After tonight's farewell celebration dinner, you can cap off the celebrations by joining an optional Huangpu River Night Cruise and get a glimpse of the dazzling and charming night view of Shanghai (at your own expense).
Day 10: Shanghai/Auckland (B)
After breakfast, transfer to Shanghai Airport to board your overnight connecting flight via an intermediate city to Auckland. The trip may be over, but the experiences and memories will certainly last a lifetime.
Day 11: Auckland
Arrive in Auckland.
B = Breakfast L = Lunch D = Dinner
*All hotels based on local hotel ratings 5 Star or similar.
1 May*, 8 May, 15 May, 22 May, 29 May, 5 June, 12 June*, 19 June*, 26 June*, 3 July*, 10 July**, 7 August, 14 August, 21 August, 28 August*, 4 September, 18 September**, 2 October*, 16 October*, 23 October, 30 October, 6 November, 13 November
- * Peak season surcharge, ** school holiday surcharge, (^) Yangtze River Cruise post-tour extension not available
- Peak season surcharge: NZD$330
- School holiday surcharge: NZD$440
- Single supplement fee of NZD$600
- Cathay Pacific upgrade (economy class): from NZD$550, subject to availability and applicable fare difference (upgrade to avoid paying stay behind surcharge)
- Child Price: Same as adult, infant no seats pay NZD$400
- Early arrival/Stay behind surcharge: From NZD$275 surcharge (subject to availability and applicable fare difference)
- Pre/post tour accommodation: NZD$85 per person/twin room twin share. NZD$170/person/ single room
- Sydney Stopover surcharge: upon request only
- Economy class international airfares, taxes and fuel surcharges departing Auckland flying China Eastern Airlines or if not available, China Southern Airlines
- Nine nights' hotel accommodation (twin share)
- Daily meals as indicated
- Internal flights (operated by local carriers)
- Round trip airport and hotel transfers
- Motorcoach transportation
- Admissions to scenic attractions
- English speaking tour guide(s)
- Tipping prepaid to Nexus Holidays - NZD$120
- China Visa application fees (mandatory, must be self-arranged locally in New Zealand)
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended, must be self-arranged locally)
- Optional tour programmes - payable directly to Nexus Holidays
- Personal expenses and anything not stated in inclusions
- The default carrier is China Eastern Airlines or China Southern Airlines, China Eastern or China Southern flights out of Auckland may depart the night before the advertised departure date
- Flight itineraries are not available until approximately three weeks before departure and involve transits
Optional Tour Programmes (payable directly to Nexus Holidays at least 30 days before departure:
- Beijing: The Golden Mask Dynasty (NZD$80)
- Beijing: Hutong Life Tour (NZD $75)
- Wuxi: Grand Canal Cruise (NZD $40)
- Hangzhou: Impression West Lake (NZD$85)
- Shanghai: ERA: The Intersection of Time (NZD$80)
- Shanghai: Dumpling Lunch (NZD$30)
- Shanghai: Huangpu River Night Cruise (NZD$60)
- Beijing: Wyndham Beijing North - five-star local rating or similar
- Suzhou: Pan Pacific Hotel - five-star local rating or similar
- Wuxi: Swiss-Bellhotel Liyuan Wuxi - five-star local rating or similar
- Hangzhou: Metropark Hotel - five-star local rating or similar
- Shanghai: Wyndham Bund East Hotel - five-star local rating or similar
All prices, itineraries, airlines, hotels and cruise ships are subject to availability and change without prior notice. Nexus Holidays reserves the right to provide substitutes of a similar standard and adjust the itinerary as we see fit to ensure the smooth running of the tour. Passengers must remain with the tour group at all times and must not deviate from the set itinerary. The total length of the tour in days includes time spent in flight and is subject to change depending on the flight schedule, please refer to the day by day itinerary for the time spent on land. Please check availability and all information before booking.
Valid from Mar 15, 2018
Expires May 30, 2018
Bookings essential by 30th May 2018. Subject to availability. Not valid public holidays. Must be used in 1 visit. A single supplement surcharge of $600 (NZD) applies if you travel by yourself, payable direct to the merchant. Deal valid for 1 person on a twin share basis i.e 2 vouchers must be purchased at this price. 2018 departures: 1 May*, 8 May, 15 May, 22 May, 29 May, 5 June, 12 June*, 19 June*, 26 June*, 3 July*, 10 July**, 7 August, 14 August, 21 August, 28 August*, 4 September, 18 September**, 2 October*, 16 October*, 23 October, 30 October, 6 November, 13 November. *Peak season surcharge NZD$330 per person, **School Holiday Surcharge NZD$440 per person, applies for certain departures. Yangtze River Cruise is not available on some dates. Child Price is same as adults, infants pay NZD$400 (under 2 years old at the time of travel). Cathay Pacific upgrade is from NZD$550pp. Post-tour accom is NZD$85pp twin share or NZD$170pp single. Early arrival/stay behind surcharge from $275pp applies. Package Inclusions: International & domestic airfare (economy class) and taxes departing Auckland. 9-night hotel accommodation, daily meals as indicated (B, L, D), coach transportation, site entry fees, English speaking tour guide, tipping - NZD $120 pp Package Exclusions: China visa (mandatory), , travel insurance (mandatory), personal expenses, optional activities. Value of deal is based on current rates; subject to change. Refund available from GrabOne within 48 hours of purchase if dates are not available. No cashback. Not to be used with other offers.
See the rules
that apply to all deals.