- 5 - 9 Oct 2021
- 2 - 6 Nov 2021
- 7 - 11 Dec 2021
- Two nights accommodation in Cromwell/ Heritage Lake Resort
- Two nights accommodation in Arrowtown/ Millbrook Resort
- Daily breakfast
- Two dinners
- One exclusive winery gourmet lunch with wine tasting
- Entry fee of Lavender Farm, Orchard Tour, Mining Centre, Lake District Museum, Maniototo Early Settlers Museum, Distillery Tour
- Commentaries provided by your experienced escort, drivers and local guides
- Comfortable air-conditioned coaches with panoramic windows
- Airfare to and from tour departure/arrival (Auckland-Dunedin return and Wellington-Dunedin return)
- Single Supplement included into the price for one person
- Travel/ health insurance (highly recommended, please contact them for a quote)
- Entry visa if needed
- Accommodation not as listed in the itinerary
- Sightseeing/ activities not listed in the itinerary
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Personal expenses such as room service, internet charge, laundry, drink, fax, telephone call, optional activities, etc
- Gratuities, tips to guides, drivers, bellboys, etc.
- Optional day tours during free time
Highlights of the day:
- Ophir Historic Bridge
Departs Dunedin (railway station) at 10 am.
You will board their coach to start the southern expedition! Today, you'll travel along Mount Stoker, stopping at Naseby. Originally a gold mining settlement named Parkers, historic Naseby nestles in the foothills of the Mount Ida Range in Central Otago.
Remember when you could stop at an intersection and not have to wait for traffic to pass? Remember when cheese rolls weren't fancy? Remember when you could wear stubbies to the pub? Omakau still has this.
The 1880 Daniel O’Connell suspension bridge with its stone piers crosses the Manuherikia River at Ophir. Anchored in solid schist, the bridge is named after the 19th-century Irish nationalist – a reminder of the many Irish gold miners who came to the area.
Returning to your accommodation they'll give you a little time to relax and refresh yourself before they have their welcome dinner.
- Highlights of the day:
- Bendigo Historic Reserve
- Quartz-Reef Point Historic Reserve
- Cromwell Heritage Precinct
- Goldfields Mining Centre
- Evening Talk
Fortified for the day with a delicious breakfast, Cromwell Heritage Precinct is the initial stop. The precinct is central Otago’s best kept secret. Some of the historic buildings, dating back to the gold rush of the 1860’s were rescued from the encroaching waters of the Clyde Dam (Cromwell Gorge was permanently flooded for hydroelectricity). Heritage buildings were lovingly rebuilt on higher ground, creating the Cromwell Heritage Precinct.
Walk the Quartz-Reef Tailings for some interesting gold mining machinery and buildings on this 45-minute guided walk.
The drive through sensational scenery is a treat as you pass through the Kawarau Gorge to their ‘let’s strike it rich,’ gold panning experience at Goldfields Mining Centre.
Returning to your accommodation time to relax before dinner and Evening Talk night.
Highlights of the day:
- Orchard Tour
- Distillery Tour (optional)
- Exclusive Hot Pools (optional)
- Spa Treatments (optional)
- Visit one of the most intact historic goldfield town / 4wd tour (optional)
Perhaps you enjoyed locally sourced fruit for breakfast. The first stop is finding out a bit more about Cromwell’s current agricultural prosperity. Hop on board for a fun, informative and educational 45 minute insight into one of the biggest working orchards. Learn why bees are so vital to growing fruit, why trees on this Orchard grow on 'V' shape trellis and much, much more.
Choose from an afternoon to further explore Arrowtown or Queenstown at your own pace:
- Enjoy a 45-minute soak in one of their new private oval hot tubs set on your own deck overlooking the Shotover River and picturesque mountains
- Stay at the Resort and indulge yourself with a half day award-winning spa experience or enjoy unique Kitchen Garden and Orchard Tour with one of the members of the Resort (during summer months)
- Discover the secrets to Cardrona’s artisan spirits, starting with our water source, malted barley and yeast. You will see where the malt is milled, mashed, fermented, distilled and matured before tasting the wares with a tutored spirit tasting of Cardrona spirits
- Macetown, a unique opportunity to trek inland following the footsteps of gold prospectors
Highlights of the day:
- Heritage Walk
- Exclusive Wine Tasting with the finest Lunch
- Lavender Farm (October-April)
- Edith Cavell Bridge / Historic Tunnel Walk
After breakfast, you’ll have time to stroll Arrowtown’s quaint main street, built during the town’s 19th-century gold rush. Your guided walk will orientate you for a day exploring the area. Arrowtown is home to over fifteen listed walking trails to enjoy. The compact nature of the heritage town and its relatively flat terrain makes it easy to navigate together with excellent signage and friendly locals.
Indulge your love of fine wine and let us introduce your palate to the intricate flavours of Central Otago. This region is renowned for Pinot Noir and you will always find a healthy selection of vintages and styles on our wine tasting list, along with a unique range of white wines. (lunch: 4 courses gourmet menu made from locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients)
Inhale the scent of lavender and linger in the gardens of the local lavender farm. (during summer months) The brisk winters and warm summers are the perfect climate for lavender. The gift shop is excellent with all things lavender to tempt you to linger over your choices.
Edith Cavell Bridge situated at Arthur's Point is a well known photo moment with the dramatic scenery of Southland at its best. There is a stop to ensure our photo selfies are captured. Enjoy a short easy walk to a viewpoint that overlooks the historic Oxenbridge Tunnel river diversion and an old steam engine.
Highlights of the day:
- Mitchell's Cottage
- Horseshoe Bend Bridge / Lonely Graves
- Gabriel’s Gully Historic Reserve
- Glenore Tunnel
Returning to Dunedin there are several stops and commentary about places of interest.
From bridges that forged economic links for communities to hand cut tunnels connecting now closed railway lines is explored. Mitchells Cottage is an exceptional example of craftsmanship and it is listed as a Category I Historic place.
Also today you can stand on the spot where history was made and imagine the moment when Gabriel Read saw the "gold shining like the stars in Orion on a dark frosty night”.
A superb survivor of stonemason's craft in New Zealand. The day is capped with an opportunity for panoramic views of Lake Waihola and then your arrival in Dunedin.
Add Ons (Payable Direct):
Macetown Tour - NZD 395 per person
Macetown, a unique opportunity to trek inland following the footsteps of gold prospectors. Acked by hand and clinging to the sheer cliffside, this road is one of the most adventurous roads in the world
Heavenly Spa Services - From NZD 199 per person
Awarded 'New Zealand's Top Spa Resort' by the World Travel Awards for the last five years, The Spa strives to provide consistent excellence. With a dedicated team, relaxing ambience and innovation in Elemis treatments, The Spa offers the ultimate in spa relaxation.
Hot Pools (45 minutes) - NZD 139 per person
Enjoy a 45-minute soak in one of their new private oval hot tubs set on your own deck overlooking the Shotover River and picturesque mountains
Distillery Tour - NZD 45 per person
Discover the secrets to Cardrona’s artisan spirits, you will see where the malt is milled, mashed, fermented, distilled and matured before tasting the wares with a tutored spirit tasting of Cardrona spirits
About Pacific Jane:
The senior travel writer is a history buff. Sharing the joy of travel inspires Sarah-Jane’s stories. The quirky, the unique experience or the narrow winding road is grist for her typing fingers. Telling a story about a place is a conversation with good friends. As with all good travel writing, the adventure is never finished. There is always something new to write about.
Itinerary building, planning the perfect trip is an art. A travel expert is passionate about making sure your accommodation exceeds her expectations. Her eye for detail means the activities and adventures are effortless. With over fifteen years of travel knowledge to draw on our risk free guarantee is assured. Crafted unique journeys start with Pacific Jane.
The sales team love nothing better than stress testing a package to ensure holiday fun is part and parcel of the travel deal. An extensive international travel background is brought into play to capture the special moments that make our holidays unforgettable.
The team has walked the great walks of New Zealand or cruised on The Murray River. They have indulged in slow travel through the wine regions Down Under and layered up to explore Tasmania in winter. They have been there, loved the adventure. The travel deals are road tested. And they do not sit on their laurels. Travel deals are monitored to guarantee you do not miss out on anything.
Valid from May 19, 2021
Expires Dec 11, 2021
Bookings essential, book early to avoid disappointment. Subject to availability. Not valid public holidays. Travel Dates: 5 - 9 Oct 2021, 2 - 6 Nov 2021, 7 - 11 Dec 2021. Must be used in 1 visit. Valid for a number of people stipulated on coupon only. Includes: Two nights accommodation in Cromwell/ Heritage Lake Resort, Two nights accommodation in Arrowtown/ Millbrook Resort, Daily breakfast, Two dinners, One exclusive winery gourmet lunch with wine tasting, Entry fee of Lavender Farm, Orchard Tour, Mining Centre, Lake District Museum, Maniototo Early Settlers Museum, Distillery Tour, Commentaries provided by your experienced escort, drivers and local guides, Comfortable air-conditioned coaches with panoramic windows and flights with Air New Zealand, up to NZD 150 per person return, subject to availability (flights depart from Auckland/Wellington one day prior to tour departure and fly back to Auckland/Wellington the next day after the end of the tour), Single Supplement included into the price for one person. The valid price stated in this deal also includes single supplement. All deposits are 100% transferable to other dates or tours in the case of COVID-related lockdown. Value of deal is based on current rates, which are subject to change. While stocks last. No refunds unless required by law. No cashback. Not to be used with other offers.
See the rules
that apply to all deals.